Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rudolph the Blue Nose Reindeer

This post is part two of “You want me to put  my lady parts where?” so if you haven’t read it, click on the post title in this sentence before you read, "Rudolph the Blue Nose Reindeer."  I promise, you don't want to miss the first part of the story.
So after the MRI was finally over, we met with the surgeon to discuss surgery options (Lumpectomy versus Mastectomy).  So Romeo and I show up at the doctors’ office after lunch hoping the MRI results had been sent and we could actually discuss the results.
Thankfully the MRI was available and the “movement” Ira was ticked about did not mess up the pictures (I knew she was a drama queen!).  So the surgeon explains there are about 10,000 images taken during an MRI, but we only looked at a dozen or so (thank heavens).  Now, as you may recall before the MRI started, Ira required me to lie on my tummy on a skinny little board and place my lady parts in the cutouts for the test (facing down).  So you can just imagine what the images looked like as the doctor starts showing them up on the (really big) flat screen.  Yes, perfectly perky parts and the tips reminded me of Rudolph the Red Nose reindeer, except with a bright blue nose.  
I noticed Romeo kept on smiling and I wondered what was so funny.  After all we are at a doctor’s office talking about something really serious.  Hello, I’ve got cancer, remember?  I tried to ignore him because I figured he was enjoying seeing my lady parts magnified to 40 times their regular size (with blue lights).    
What is it with men and boobs?   Yesterday, my high school friend Wayland posted a T-shirt he was wearing in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month.  I'll have to admit, it was cute and clever, but really…. Who wears a shirt like this unless you’re fifteen?  But, it's the thought that counts.  Thanks Wayland!


Okay, so the doctor is pointing out various things in the images, and in the corner of my eye, I see Romeo slowly (and very sneaky) pulling his phone from his pocket.  Just as he is about to snap a picture, we lock eyes and he quickly understands he needs to stop or he might be walking back home (which is about 100 miles away)!  Can you believe that?  Romeo was actually going to take a picture of my MRI images!  Like, what was he going to do with them?  Show them to his buddies at work or use it as our Christmas card this year?  The ideas are just endless... 
So Romeo begrudgingly puts his phone back in his pocket with a sad face.  Yes, I have totally ruined his fun and thankfully have jerked him back into reality.  At this point, I was very happy I had decided NOT to take a Valium before the MRI.  Who knows what might have happened if I had!
This little incident explains why I am on a “Cancer Honeymoon” indefinitely.  Yes, it is very rewarding and almost fun.  Anything I want to buy, or do, or have Romeo do for me is all fair game.  Like I said before, having cancer isn’t all that bad.

3 comments:

  1. Andrea, I have to say that your blogs are wonderful! I was reading the one about Dr. Shorty Pants in the grocery store while I was waiting on a prescription and found myself laughing out loud. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear sweet cousin of mine. This is so cute. I totally enjoyed reading it and thank you for sharing your journey. I know that the Lord going to bless you in this journey because you are a blessing to me!! I love you and you know that if there is anything I can do for you just say it and I will do it. Life and death is in the power of the word and the Lord says by his stripes we are healed. So I claim healing for you in the name of the Lord.

    love love love you!!
    Nancy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....and I thought Romeo was such a gentleman! Have a good perky weekend! x

    ReplyDelete