Thursday, October 11, 2012

Angel Of Healing

I have been so humbled with the outpouring of support and concern from family, friends and coworkers.  Since my diagnosis three weeks ago I have appreciated these relationships much deeper.  It has been so uplifting to realize how much all these wonderful people really care about me.  
I have received so many cards, flowers, texts, emails, phone calls, gift cards, and even a beautiful sweater to keep me warm and cozy this winter from Brittney’s sorority Big Sister, Autumn.  I am totally overwhelmed by all these expressions of love and can't even put into words how deeply these gestures have touched my heart.
But there was something I received from my friend Glynys that was much more than a gift to make me feel better. I truly believe God worked through her to send me a message.  But let me back up and give you a little history so you understand my point of view. 
Many of you know my mother died four years ago after battling breast cancer for eleven months.  It was devastating because I have always been a Momma’s girl and talked to her almost every day on the phone since I left home for college.   During the last couple weeks, I have missed her more than usual and would give anything to feel her arms around me and hear her say, “It’s going to be okay Andy-Pandy” just like she did so many times in my life.
After she died, my father sold their home and gave many of their family heirlooms to me, my siblings, extended family and friends because he was downsizing to a smaller residence.  Over the years, when my dad visits me, he sometimes brings another family trinket he believes I would enjoy.  About a year ago he brought me a box of Christmas items.  Inside were many of the ornaments I made as a child, as well as a collection of Santas and angel figurines.  I asked him about some of the figurines I didn’t recognize and he indicated he didn’t really remember where they came from but assumed they were the product of one of my mother’s many shopping excursions.  (Apparently Retail Therapy worked for her too!)     
So let’s fast forward to when I received the gift from Glynys.  One afternoon a couple weeks ago Romeo brought home a beautifully wrapped package and card addressed to me that he found on his desk.  Inside was an angel with a little card that said:
Angel of Healing
For those who give comfort with caring and tenderness
This is the angel and a picture of my sweet Momma
I immediately recognized the angel and remembered it was just like the one my Dad had given me with the Christmas items a year ago.  I suddenly realized someone had given my mother the same "Angel of Healing" during her battle with cancer.   As I held it in my hands, I felt the warm comfort of my mother’s arms around me and could mentally hear her voice telling me I was going to be okay and she would be with me.   
Glynys, thank you for this wonderful and unexpected treasure.  And Glory to God that its meaning allowed me to feel my mother’s comfort when I needed it most. 

3 comments:

  1. gulp.... I love you sister-- aka Andy-Pandy. You are truly amazing. #lostforwords kk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite Mom. I could not imagine not being able to talk to you every day. I am so glad you shared this with us!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete