Monday, October 22, 2012

Hello Houston!

We had originally intended to fly to Houston but decided at the last minute to drive since we really didn’t know how long we would be here.  So we jumped into Romeo’s old Lexus (this is peer pressure intending to embarrass him into getting a newer car) and headed south on Sunday.  Eight hours later and a couple trips through McDonald’s drive-thru we were here!  Whew… it was a long way and I hate being in the car more than 30 minutes.  But somehow I can survive if I think of it as an eating tour of fast food chains that I wouldn’t normally allow myself to indulge. 
We checked into the Rotary House which is the hotel owned by M.D. Anderson.  My parents had stayed there numerous times when my mother was undergoing her cancer treatment.  Anyway, it “looks” like a really nice hotel, but it feels a very sterile and obviously filled with lots of sick and old people.   And since I don’t fit into either of those categories (in my mind anyway), I have requested my Romeo to begin looking for a hip and swanky hotel, including an outdoor pool with a swim-up bar (an all-inclusive would be nice) in his free time.  You know, when he is sitting in waiting rooms, waiting for me. 
Our day started at 7:00 AM when we experienced “New Patient” registration where a nice lady named   Iris (no relation to MRI Ira) checked me in after asking two thousand questions, locking a patient bracelet on my wrist, and walking us to our first appointment.  First, we went to the imaging center for mammograms which revealed a new calcification formation that was missed by the doctors in Oklahoma.  This was a little surprising but in the long run wouldn’t have really mattered because I was planning to get a mastectomy on that side anyway.  Next, I had an ultrasound which revealed some sort of tumor or cyst that had never been discovered.  Thankfully, it was in the same breast, so again, it confirmed a mastectomy was the right surgical procedure.  Even though these two findings were disturbing, it helped us validate we did the right thing by coming to M.D. Anderson for diagnosis and probably treatment.
Tomorrow, we will meet with a doctor to discuss surgery options and long-term treatment.  Hopefully, we will also be able to make an appointment to meet a reconstructive surgeon, because bikini season will be here before you know it!  But seriously, I am still very torn whether to have a single or double mastectomy.  I pray this trip will help me resolve this dilemma and then give me peace with the decision.  I’m not sure I can endure going through this ever again, but removing a healthy part of my body is almost as painful.  Either way, I am definitely interested in understanding my options.
Romeo has been so wonderful.  While he was waiting for me to be done with tests, he researched and planned the rest of our day so we wouldn’t have to go back to the old and sick people hotel.  Instead we went to a really cool urban shopping district for lunch and shopping.  This man knows exactly how to perk up my spirits.  Plus, Christmas is just TEN weeks away and I haven’t even started my shopping.  Thankfully, the shops were decked out for Christmas to help me get in the mood (like I need help).  I couldn’t resist taking this picture of Santa Clause in front of Victoria’s Secret.  
I think Santa is thinking about who has been naughty.
That’s it for now, friends.  But stay tuned because I have a really good story related to this lady showing me her new "reconstruction job" today.  Oh my, even if I get designer boobs and they look AMAZING, I think I will still just keep them to myself.  
Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts coming my way.  I truly feel and appreciate them so much!  XOXO

3 comments:

  1. Andrea, I'm rooting for you! You're amazing - thank you for sharing your journey.
    Love you - Shanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shanny!! I love you and your wonderful family too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of love and best wishes your way x
    K

    ReplyDelete