Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Count Down to the Cancer Free Boo-bee Day!

Well, the countdown is on until the BIG Boo-bee day. One more week until Dr. BK transforms me into a new and improved LADY!  Like I have said many times, having cancer isn’t so bad.  I’ll take designer boobs and a flat tummy any day!  Maybe I can talk him into doing a little Botox in between my eyes (on my forhead) too!  I know what you are thinking... I have totally lost my mind. 
But my friend Trace has been trying to get me "ready" for this life changing event.  She tells me this surgery is going to be tough and the recovery is really, really long.  Trace shared she was in the hospital for more than a week and in ICU for part of the time.  Then she came home and had to use a walker for three weeks!  What?  A walker like what old people need? I just about fainted when she told me that!  I was thinking I would be back at the gym in a couple weeks.  Man, if I have to use a walker, that’s really going to slow me down on the treadmill!
Now, don’t mistake Trace for one of those fragile flower chicks because she is telling me how hard it was for her.  I've never met her in person, but I can tell she is one of those “Don’t Mess with Texas Gals” who lives on a ranch.  Or at least she has a steer and I don’t think Houston neighborhoods allow large animals to be backyard pets (but maybe so).  Anyway, I think she can tell I am probably not as tough as her and more of the “fragile flower” type.  Therefore, she is really (realistically) trying to prepare me for the next couple weeks.  For example, I really appreciate her telling me I may not be able to wash my hair for a couple days.  You know, because there are some really cute hats out this time of year that will match my jammies perfectly!      
Since we have less than a week until we are due back in Houston, I’ve been in a mad dash trying to tie up loose ends at work, and then at home trying to clean the house REALLY good, finish my Christmas shopping and make arrangements for Mikayla while we are gone.  Thankfully, Brittney will be staying with her (and Kosmo, our little dog), but it will require her to commute most days to Ada (1 ½ hours one way) for work, but I think she may be able to carpool some of the time.  Please pray for her safety and that she and Mikayla won’t kill each other.  You probably understand the love/hate relationship with sisters (especially since one is a teenager) can be challenging.  But, they are sweet girls and know they love each other so I am sure they will be just fine. 
I’ll probably update my blog the first part of next week but after Wednesday, Brittney will be updating to give you status updates on my surgery and recovery.  Thank you again for all the prayers, positive thoughts and comments.  It is so comforting knowing so many people are supporting me through this journey.    

3 comments:

  1. Prayers are floating your way!
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know all my thoughts and prayers are going to you for tomorrow. You have done amazingly so far and I know your attitude will carry you through this next phase. Take the very best care of yourself, Andrea x x x x

    ReplyDelete