Monday, November 5, 2012

The Circle Marks the Spot

We arrived in Houston on Sunday evening because I had an appointment with Dr. BK this morning to be “marked up,” discuss what happens on surgery day, recovery and take a few glamour shots in those cute little photo panties! 
Apparently BK does not trust Dr. Sarah to make the incision in exactly the right place because he took a black permanent marker and drew a circular line where she is to remove “her” part. Obviously so it wouldn’t mess up his custom creation for my new “look.”   He then drew a whole bunch of other lines on my chest and tummy with a blue marker because I guess he likes to color.  I could tell Romeo was having fun just watching because he had this huge smile on his face.  So when BK finished his artwork, (I know you are going to think I am making this up, but I SWEAR it is the truth) he signed his initials on the side of the "sick" lady part.   
He also gave Romeo a permanent marker to take back to the hotel to color the lines back if they begin to fade over the next two days.     After all, we can’t risk Dr. Sarah cutting in the wrong place ruining Dr. BK’s soon-to-be masterpiece (and it’s possible she could be distracted since she is getting married next weekend).  He also insisted that Romeo not use the marker to leave Dr. BK any notes for surgery or modifications.  
Dr. BK also informed me I would be on a special floor, in a special room because he demands very special care for all of his favorite patients.  Sorry Trace, I know you thought you were BK’s favorite, but there is a new girl in town! He said my surgery would be first on the schedule Wednesday morning and should begin around 8:30 AM.  If everything goes well, it should take 5-6 hours and then I would probably be in the hospital until Sunday.  Then we would probably hang around in Houston a couple more days just to make sure I don’t have any problems.    
As we are leaving Dr. BK’s office Romeo confesses the reason he was smiling was BK’s drawing on my chest reminded him of the Target Puppy.  You know the one, the cute little dog with the circles drawn around his eye. 
Romeo has great intuition when he needs to be funny and make me laugh.  Somehow he senses when I'm stressed or scared and would really like to cry.  But I'll have to admit, when I looked in the mirror later,  the drawing on my "puppy" does look like the Target Puppy!  
Tomorrow we have a variety of appointments for pre-operative activities.  One of these includes shooting me up with blue dye in preparation for the Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection on Wednesday.  Which reminds me, I need to research how they intend to place blue die in my lady parts since I have history of Post Traumatic Stress Booby Syndrome (PTSBS).  But don’t worry; I brought my Valium in case it causes me to have a PTSBS relapse.
Thanks again for coming along with me on this journey.  I know the road is going to get a little bumpy, but I have complete faith it’s going to be okay because I'm going to let Jesus take the Wheel.  Don't you just love that Carrie Underwood song?

5 comments:

  1. What the HELL?????? LOL! I told you he was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll see, we'll see.......he brought ME a teddy bear from the Thoracic Surgery wing that they use to hug and cough with. Let me know if he brings you a bear and it's ON.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Trace, how did I live my life without you all these years? You are so, so funny! Okay, I'll let you know if I get a bear. I'm sure I'll get something waaay cuter. Like a little bunny or maybe a Target Puppy!

      Delete
  3. Andrea, I hope this does not come twice! I am sitting here fighting the tears back as I read this and the previous blog. I am not sure how you can keep from crying everyday. I am sending prayers you way. I am also saying a prayer for Romeo. One for the strength to continue to remain strong for you. I can't only imagine how you feel right now, but I also think this must be difficult for Romeo. To watch the woman he loves go thru this difficult period. Remain strong and with all your support from family and friends, you are going to come out of this on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie. I really appreciate the prayers and support. :)

      Delete