Thursday, January 2, 2014

Chicago Part One - Roy the Nurse

Hello Friends and Family,

Sorry I’ve been missing in action. I really love writing this blog, but I just never can find the time. A lot has happened lately so I thought you would appreciate an update on my Breast Cancer journey. 

A little over three weeks ago Romeo and I traveled to Chicago for my third reconstructive surgery. So you’re probably thinking why another surgery and why did you go to Chicago?

As you may remember from this blog, my reconstructive surgeon, Dr. BK was from MD Anderson, which is where I have had all my treatment. When I went in for a checkup in August he informed me he was leaving Houston to move back to his hometown of Chicago. He told me I would be referred to a new MD Anderson surgeon who could finish my lady parts. What? He was leaving me to move closer to his family? How could this be true? I thought I was his favorite patient EVER!

After interviewing several doctors, I came to the conclusion I had to follow Dr. BK to Chicago. Especially after one surgeon told me he wouldn’t feel comfortable revising Dr. BK’s amazing work because he was afraid he would mess it up or even destroy it by severing a blood vessel. Wow… that’s alarming! I guess that’s why he is the Boobie King!

In early November, I called Dr. BK’s new office and explained my situation to the receptionist. To my surprise she immediately transferred me into Dr. BK’s office so I could talk to him personally. It was like talking to an old friend and I instantly knew I had made the right decision. We set the date for December 9 and I began preparing myself for another surgery. You would think after three surgeries I wouldn’t have so much anxiety.

Romeo and I flew into Chicago the weekend before so we could explore the city and have a little mini vacation. We had a wonderful time even though it was snowing and the wind chill was in the single digits. Romeo knew I would be stressing so he had our entire weekend planned with activities to keep my mind off the surgery.

Monday morning we arrived at Dr. BK’s office for my pre-op appointment. I am not sure what I was expecting, but let me tell you, the University of Chicago compared to MD Anderson was very different (and not in a good way). Everyone was really nice and the facility was clean, but this place was not even in the same league as MD Anderson. Does that make me a Cancer Snob?

The people at the University of Chicago were horribly unorganized and used zero technology. But that’s not all… it gets better. After being directed to an examining room, a man wearing a hospital gown appeared in my room. I thought at first he was a confused patient who came into the wrong room until he stated he needed to get my medical history. What? Is this a joke? Okay, where are the cameras?

When I realized “Roy” was not kidding, my mind began to try to validate his authenticity. I remember thinking maybe he is a volunteer? My Dad volunteers at UTMC, but I don’t think he has to wear a hospital gown. Why is Roy wearing a hospital gown?!!

Roy began asking me questions and scribbling my answers down in his notebook. Since he didn’t take my vitals, I convinced myself Roy was some sort of Candy Striper (after all his gown had pink stripes). I was a little alarmed when I realized ROY was the NURSE! He clearly wasn’t playing with a full deck; which explains why none of my drug allergies were documented in their system on surgery day! Red flag, RED FLAG!

A few minutes later Dr. BK knocked on the door and all my anxieties instantly disappeared. It was a wonderful reunion with hugs and catching up on family news. I love this man (in a doctor sort of way). He is truly the most amazing medical professional I have ever known. Besides being one of the most talented plastic surgeons in North America, he is also a wonderful person. Even though his staff was less than impressive, I had total confidence everything was going to be okay.

Stay tuned, soon I will post “Chicago – Part Two” which will explain what happened next.  Don’t worry; it all turns out okay despite a few little hiccups. 

No comments:

Post a Comment